I could (or should that be do) LITERALLY spend hours day dreaming about the things I’d like to do around the house. They are of course, mostly day dreams, especially with us now being a one income family.
We have decided we would use some of my redundancy pay to do some bits around the house…but how do you choose?
Here’s the shortlist…
- New Fireplace in the lounge. Something we have been toying with for ages…we used to have a back boiler which was upgraded as part of Our Big Build, so now we are free to change the existing (and very dated) fireplace in the lounge. There are just so many possibilities – log burner, electric fire, gas fire, modern, traditional…we are somewhat frozen by option paralysis.
- New carpet in the lounge. When we decorated, Tigs was just 4 months old, so we decided against a new carpet. Probably one of our better interior decisions – the one in there isn’t too shabby, and it’s quite inoffensive. It has certainly taken some beatings from the kids, and I have always been relieved we don’t have ‘new carpet hysteria’, but I do get major bouncy carpet envy when I experience someone else’s lovely new carpet. But is it still too soon? Dangermouse is only 15 months? This definitely needs to come after item #1 anyway, so we may be waiting some time before we make any decisions.
- Sofa for the playroom / dining room. The hubby desperately wants a cosy reading nook…I’m not sure there is room at the moment, with all the primary coloured plastic toys that are expanding with every birthday / Christmas! But, this is definitely in the pipeline. I’d love a small two seater, probably in grey (as we already totally saturated the Green!), or maybe a small corner sofa? Something like this, from Furniture Village:
- New front door. This one is actually happening as we speak…we had a ‘lovely’ *sarcasm* brown metal door, featuring a stained glass kingfisher (circa 1973) which made our guests wonder whether they had accidentally knocked on the door of the local curry house. Since the downstairs hall got a face lift (Our Big Build) it just had to go! The new Oak door currently being installed is so much more in keeping with the house…we just need a bit of child free time to paint it now. I’m hoping to paint the outside a lovely calming (yep you guessed it), green.
- Decorating our bedroom. We splashed out on new rustic oak matching furniture over the last couple of years, including a lovely desk, perfect for blogging or working from home. We just now need to do the finishing touches to the rest of the room. I love the idea of an Antartica Theme (been busy pinning)…lots of white, ice blue and rustic wood. Reclaim the original floorboards, drapes of white on the windows, some snowy scene paintings and faux fur throws & cushions. Lets face it though, Mum and Dads room is always going to be the very bottom of the list! Hanging on to my vision though – that’s always the hardest part isn’t it?
In conclusion, our bank balance might just be saved by our indecisiveness…and our fear of all that is new being wrecked by two small mess creators. We’ll see…
What is on your home wish list this year?